The health benefits of quinoa are never ending. However if it isn't cooked right it can have a weird grainy flavour. I love this recipe because the creaminess of the porridge perfectly balances the tartness of the berries. The berries also mask that yukky quinoa flavour and it tastes amazing. You can make the quinoa and compote and store them separately in the fridge for 2-3 days. The compote is an awesome recipe that can be added to anything, french toast, ice-cream, yoghurt, cakes...
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1/2 x cup quiona flakes
- 1 x cup skim milk
- 1 x cup water
- 2 x tab honey to sweeten
- shredded coconut + cacao nibs (optional - to top)
- 200gm fresh mixed berries. If you are using strawberries, you will need to hull and slice them.
- 2 tab orange juice (I just squeeze 1/2 an orange directly into the pan to save time, you can also use tap water!)
- Add all of the quinoa ingredients to a saucepan and stir well.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or until porridge is cooked to the consistency of your liking.
- Let it stand for 2 minutes.
- While waiting for the porridge to cook - Add fresh berries and orange juice (you can substitute with water if you prefer) to a small fry pan.
- Heat over medium heat until berries start to soften and juice. This should not take more than 4 minutes. Your strawberries and blueberries should remain firm and intact.
- Divide porridge into 2 serving plates. Top with berry compote. Add berry juice from pan.
- Top with coconut and cacao nibs.