Inspiring women: Modelco CEO Shelley Barrett
I got the privilege of sitting down for a few minutes with the über successful business woman Shelley Barrett who created Model Co. We talked about what inspires her, the keys to running a successful business and Jimmy Choos of course! I hope you enjoy!
What did you aspire to be as a little girl?
- From a young age I always knew I wanted to be run own business and be creative in some way. I knew that I loved that drive to see a project through from start to finish, no matter how big or small, so becoming an entrepreneur seemed like a natural progression.
Who inspires you now?
- I am so inspired by Natalie Massenet, Founder of Net-a-Porter. When Natalie founded Net-a-Porter she changed the way we shop online and brought luxury shopping to the keyboards of the world. This strikes a chord in me as ModelCo changed the way women self-tanned when we launched Tan Airbrush in a Can 12 years ago. It was the world’s first aerosol self-tanning airbrush product to hit the market and created a new global beauty category.
What is your ultimate goal in life?
- To have a holistic approach to life where myself and my family are happy and healthy as well as creating the perfect work/life balance!
What are 5 key elements to run a successful business?
- Work hard, stay positive, surround yourself with people who have more knowledge than you, reward your employees, have infinite patience which leads to immediate results!
Can you share your biggest “WTF” moment in the creation of your beauty empire that made you question if you were doing the right thing?
- I would like to think that my biggest “WTF” moment was an extremely positive one, when I launched TAN in a Can in Summer 2003 and it outsold the children’s toy section at Christmas time. I will never forget the call I received telling me it was the number 1 selling product throughout the entire department store, across the country! We were selling one can every 30 seconds and it continues to be a bestseller today.
Who was your role model growing up?
- My mother! Mum has always inspired me and has instilled a strong work ethic in me. I had an amazing example in mum of a woman who worked so hard doing so many different things for our family.
Is there an ethical or sustainable element to ModelCo, if not is this something you believe is important to your brand?
- As a brand we are ethically and environmentally conscious. This is something that is important to me and important to our customers which is why we are PETA certified and are proudly animal cruelty free. ModelCo has recently launched Natural Self - Tanning products and will be launching a Natural Skin care Collection in September, to meet the growing needs of our customers for naturally derived products.
How do you stay ahead of the competition?
- My team and I are always thinking of new, innovative ways to make women’s lives easier. I create products for women who are style-savvy yet time-poor, who want to look and feel their absolute best whilst enjoying a busy lifestyle. I’m constantly talking to our customer and asking them what they want to see that will quicken and enhance their beauty routine. It is this relationship with our ModelCo consumers that definitely gives us an edge over our competitors. I like to be actively across our customers social media channels so that I can tap into their wants and needs.
What do you do in your down time?
- I love taking holidays with my two daughters so we can spend quality time together, whether it be a long weekend trip or an overseas adventure. I am really into meditation and exploring different types of healing, and of course a couple of hours of luxury spent at a day spa never goes astray.
Your biggest splurge you have had lately?
- That would have to be my new Jimmy Choo nude peep toe sling backs.
Your greatest indulgence?
- I love nothing more than a European summer holiday…!
Your favorite food?
- I love all types of Asian Food.
How do you manage staying so glamorous when you are the CEO of an empire and a very busy woman?
- Patience and planning. It is important to plan each week and allocate time for yourself, even if it is just an hour or two every few days. If you have the resources, hire help, it makes all the difference when managing a hectic schedule.
What is your nonnegotiable when it comes to your health?
- Water! Hydration is so important. I always make sure I drink at least 2Litres of water a day to keep ensure my mind and body are able to work to their full potential and water helps my skin to glow.
How do you maintain important relationships when you are busy?
During the week I never really switch off from work mode but I try to always make time for my friends and family and be as present in the moment as I can be. My weekends are precious and I make every minute count.
Do you meditate or having a morning ritual?
- I always try to take at least half an hour every day to have a time out and focus on myself. My mornings are usually quite busy with getting the girls ready for school, but I always ensure I set time aside to have breakfast as a family.
Where do you see ModelCo in the next 5 years?
- ModelCo is about to launch into a whole new beauty category – skincare. This is something that has been 2 years in the works and we are very excited for the unveiling in August this year! Over the next 5 years I look forward to experiencing the international growth of ModelCo and continuing to produce must-have beauty products for women globally.
I have a prize pack of over $200 worth of Model co cosmetics for one lucky reader.
All you have to do is
1. Post a pic of "Who inspires you"
2. Tag @zoebmarshall #zoemarshallKYWcomp
3. Tag @modelco _cosmetics #modelco
Winner will be announced on Monday 7th July at 12pm.
Good luck x