Hiba's 100 calorie banana bread
Hello heaven.. I love banana bread.. It is absolutely delicious and one of my all time favourite cafe snacks. The versions you buy in store are full of refined sugar, preservatives and yukky fats. This version makes me happy. It is moist, delicious and wholesome. High in protein, fibre and wholegrains, there are less than 100 calories per serving!!!
I usually bake a loaf on weekends and keep it for weekday snacking or quick breakfast. I top it with yoghurt or ricotta and a few nuts. For those who aren’t watching calories (see: partners, husbands, brothers and sisters!!), it is amazing toasted with butter.
Ingredients (Makes approx 8 slices)
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/2 cup wheat-germ
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 2 large extra ripe mashed bananas
- 250gm your fruit of choice (I have used grated pear, fresh berries, apple etc.. you can just add an extra banana if you don’t want to mix it up).
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup crushed walnuts or unsweetened shredded coconut (optional, but so delicious)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Spray your loaf tin with olive oil spray and line with baking paper.
- Combine your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, fruit, vanilla, egg whites and honey. Note - If using berries, gently fold in only 3/4 of them (you don’t want them to get too mushy).
- Pour the banana mix into the flour and combine.
- Pour into a loaf tin, scatter the top with extra berries, shredded coconut or walnuts
- Bake for about 50 minutes. If necessary, cover with foil halfway through cooking to stop over-browning.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool. Nom Nom!